F3RES - Radio Controlled Rudder/Elevator/Spoiler Gliders
F3RES is a group scored thermal duration contest for low tech 2 meter span RES gliders.
Each round comprises a duration task of 6 minutes in a 9 minute working time.
Unlike most competitions, with F3RES the time points are 2 x (flight time in seconds).
Landing points are exactly the same as for F3J.
This is not an FAI class (at 6 November 2017).
The rules are in German but there is an English translation dating from 2016 on RCGroups.
Apparently there have been some changes since this was done but no translation is available.
If you find a better or more current translation then please let me know.
2016 translation of the rules is here.
2019 translation of the rules is here (uploaded 2019-11-18).
- Unlimited number of pilots. Up to 99 rounds can be drawn.
- Creates an optimised draw that avoids frequency and/or team clashes.
- Pilots can be 'retired' and a re-draw made with the remaining pilots for later rounds.
- Pilots can be moved between groups, and even rounds, for re-flights.
- Whole groups can be re-flown.
- New re-flight groups can be 'built' with selected pilots.
- Keeps track of each pilot's best score for each round (if pilot is re-flown)
- Deducts up to five worst Round scores at predetermined rounds flown.
- Deducts penalties from the final score.
- Provides a comprehensive suite of reports. All reports can be previewed, printed
- Score cards (for the duration task) can be printed from the Reports menu.
Championship reports can be produced in two different ways.
- Multiple competitions can be selected into a Competition Series (see Main Menu → Competition Series).
The Competition Series report can then be produced.
- The rounds flown from multiple competitions can be merged into a single competition file (see Main Menu → Merge).
The standard competition reports apply to the merged competition.
Expand F3RES on the side menu to work through these features.
Basic competition setup for F3RES
- Select the Duration task
- Under Scoring Options
- Select 'Drop worst Round scores'.
- Select the round numbers at which drop scores will take effect.
- Under Scoring Rules
- Key in the 'Duration target time'.
- Set the 'Points/Second' to 2.
- Select the 'Landing bonus' table.